Start your day at the ever popular, Ross Farm Museum. Feed the animals, sample some homemade cookies, try your hand at woodworking and explore farm life 1800’s style.
Time for a leisurely walk along the hiking/walking trail. Start at the Lion’s Park entrance and meander down the scenic walkway to the meadow look-off. Continue through the forest to view spectacular hardwoods and finally walk along the lake shores to take in our beautiful views. (takes approximately 1hr)
Have some lunch at one of our two restaurants, with tastes ranging from homemade chowders, to fish & chips, to meat lovers delight-a restaurant for every taste-bud.
Take some time to shop at the local Frenchy’s & antique store to find that perfect outfit or perfect accent for your home.
Don’t forget to stop by Scotian Ironworks to say “Hi” to our local blacksmith, Scott Hamlin, to watch his metal creations come to life. You can purchase custom made creations or something already beautifully sculpted.
Come just at the right time and you may be able to sample homemade cooking at its best at one of the Forties Community Centre famous suppers. Or hit it just right and spend the afternoon listening to amazing talent, at their variety shows.
Insert into any place along your day:
- Take time to relax at the local Royal Canadian Legion. Stop by for a beverage and burger on their outdoor patio and check out the first monument to be erected in Nova Scotia to honour those who served their country in World War One (the base stone was laid on 28 August 1917).
- If recreation is your cup of tea, take in some fitness fun, at our indoor fitness centre (located at the Family Resource Centre), our outdoor recreation complex (located on the grounds of NRCS) which includes tennis/basketball courts, track, soccer fields and fitness circuit, or have some fun on one of two playgrounds for children and adults alike (located on the grounds of NRCS).
- Take advantage of our abundant outdoors, and depending on the season, try walking/hiking/biking/canoeing/kayaking/fishing/4-wheeling/snowmobiling/cross-country skiing/snowshoeing.
- Try your hand at solving the mystery of the Knight’s Templar & the Quest for the Holy Grail. Have a look at the ruins of the New Ross Castle.
- Need a part for a leaky faucet or a new chainsaw? Stop by our local Home Hardware store or Sanders Building Supplies to find what you need.
- Rather take some time to rejuvenate. Try Gina’s Salon & Spa, for a new hairstyle, or to have a massage. Gina’s team offers a range of services to meet your needs.
- Need just the right plant for your home or garden, T & D Nursery’s four greenhouses are bursting with annuals, perennials and much more.
- Lots of chances for residents to be involved with extracurricular activities varying from piano/dance/music and swim classes, summer day camps, and family gym night at the local school. Don’t forget drop-in badminton, basketball and volleyball on Tues/Wed and Friday nights!